Plan International Sweden is now seeking a DRM and Conflict Advisor to coordinate the Nordic DRM team, provide guidance and strategic direction for DRM and Conflict, and strengthen Plan International's work on conflict sensitivity.
The advisor will be based out of the Plan International Sweden's Policy and Thematic Unit in Stockholm; a unit that includes Thematic Advisors within both humanitarian and development fields. The Advisor will work with a Nordic Disaster Risk Management team with colleagues in Norway, Finland, Denmark and Sweden. The other Thematic Advisors in the Nordic countries focus on for example Child Protection, Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, Education, Civil Society Strengthening, Climate Change & Resilience and Gender.
This is a new role at Plan International Sweden and therefore the role will be part of developing an approach and scope for the future.
Coordinate the Nordic DRM team for Plan International in Norway, Finland, Denmark and Sweden
- Coordinate our Nordic DRM collaboration across Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark to advance Plan International's profile in DRM and the humanitarian sector.
- Host and plan for the annual gathering of the Nordic DRM staff and facilitate the capacity building of the Nordic emergency staff based on the needs and requests from the individual National Organisations in the Nordics
- Lead the Disaster Coordination Group at Plan International Sweden in case of larger emergencies, and share efforts across the Nordic offices.
- Coordinate Plan International Sweden's DRM work and the Nordic DRM team during major emergencies with various duties as requested.
- Represent Plan International in external forums regarding both influencing and media during emergencies.
- Provide strategic direction for influencing, and for larger events, together with advocacy staff.
Provide guidance and strategic direction for DRM and Conflict work at Plan International Sweden
- Provide timely and qualitative advisory to Program Managers and Business Development staff at Plan International Sweden, Country Offices, Regional Hubs in all stages of the project cycle within the thematic area of DRM and Conflict Sensitivity
- Collaborate with key staff in all thematic areas and Program Management staff to support Country Offices in quality programme design, implementation and reporting.
- Contribute to a productive cooperation with the Country Offices and donors and to identify new funding opportunities within the thematic area.
- Contribute to assure the quality of the Plan International Sweden supported programs and projects within the fields of DRM and conflict through regular monitoring, evaluation of results, and gathering lessons learnt within humanitarian, fragile and conflict affected settings.
Strengthen Plan International's work regarding conflict sensitivity
- Actively participate in the Plan International global policy and guidance development work in the areas of conflict sensitivity and working in conflict and fragile settings.
- Host annual trainings for Plan International Sweden staff on how to integrate and strengthen conflict sensitivity in our programmes.
- Provide timely and qualitative advice to Program Managers at Plan International Sweden, Country Offices, and Regional Hubs on how to strengthen the area of conflict sensitivity.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Higher degree in political science, peace and conflict, law, social science, gender, humanities or other relevant field of study.
- Several years of experience of working internationally in the humanitarian sector and particularly in conflict settings.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating and supporting a conflict sensitive approach.
- Well oriented in relevant international frameworks and standards such as Do No Harm, International Humanitarian Law, Core Humanitarian Standards, Sphere, the Child Rights Convention, and the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW).
- Demonstrated experience in project cycle management and proposal writing and comfortable working with the logical framework approach (LFA).
- Strong communicator with previous experience in external representation and preferably also experience from media contacts and interviews.
- Proven skills in conducting trainings and facilitate workshops preferably in conflict sensitivity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, positive and professional attitude, ability to facilitate and work well in a culturally diverse team setting and with multiple partners.
- Ability to take on a leading role in coordinating and motivate staff across several offices.
- Strengths in finding solutions, flexibility, and creativity.
- Excellent written and oral Swedish and English skills.
- Excellent computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Willingness to travel internationally, sometimes in areas of insecurity, at times for longer periods of time.
- Additional language skills in French, Spanish or Arabic considered a major benefit.
- Availability and interest to conduct deployments for 1-2 months/year is an added value.
ABOUT THE POSITION
This is a full time (ie 37,5 hrs/week) permanent position starting with a 6 months probationary period.
Plan International Swwden values diversity and strives to mirror the diversity in the society.
This is a local position based in Stockholm where international travel is expected. Other locations than Stockholm will not be considered.
Please do not apply if you do not have a valid work permit for Sweden or no interest in being based in Stockholm. If you need to relocate to take on the position, please be aware that we will not be able to give any support regarding relocation or immigration admin.
Union representatives Kristian Korsgard (Akademikerföreningen) and Nidall Fayez (Unionen) can be contacted at 08-587 755 00. Recruiting manager is travelling but can be reached by email: email@example.com.
Application deadline: September 1, 2019