The Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement is present in over 190 countries around the world. The RCRC supports communities to prepare for and recover from emergencies including conflict and natural disasters. The Swedish Red Cross (SRC) is supporting supports partner National Societies around the world to deliver the unique humanitarian mandate.
The position is part of SRC International Department’s Regional Team for MENA, and falls under the direct supervision of the SRC Regional Manager for MENA. Based in Beirut, the Regional Disaster Management Advisor (RDMA) will focus on supporting selected National Societies in their overall ambition to improve their organisational and technical resilience in addressing humanitarian needs related to the current/future disasters and crises. The job entails frequent travels to and across countries in the region. The role will coordinate closely with RCRC Movement colleagues through the region as well as with the SRC DM Unit in Stockholm and SRC Country Representatives/Programme Managers in the MENA region.
Duties will include but not be limited to
- As per request from national societies, review current set-up for disaster management and disaster risk reduction and propose changes and improvement in internal structures, coordination and design of programmes.
- Provide technical support to SRC/MENA team and other SRC units when requested.
- Mentor in change management and organizational development with focus on preparedness for response and recovery.
- Upon request and when possible function as a surge capacity for tasks identified by IFRC regional and country offices.
- Ensure that SRC support and activities in MENA remains appropriate to fluctuations in the political, social, economic, environmental, cultural and security context. This includes the ability to analyse the humanitarian context and make programmatic suggestions accordingly.
- Develop and maintain SRC strategic and operational relationships with focus on Disaster Management and Disaster Risk Reduction within the SRC, the RCRC Movement as well as with external partners.
- Undertake monitoring, evaluation and support visits to selected MENA countries in the region, working closely with partners in SRC and partners in RCRC Movement.
- Contribute to annual reporting, proposal drafting and strategic planning.
- Any other reasonable duties as delegated by the Line Manager
- Higher academic education in international relations, development studies, or related field
- Minimum seven years relevant working experience in multinational environments such as working in the disaster management field, preferably in the region or conflict areas
- Experience in setting up structures in Disaster Management/Disaster Risk Reduction
- Experience in integrating gender and diversity, environment and conflict analysis in (emergency) programming as well as a Community Engagement and Accountability perspective
- Experience in coaching, mentoring and change management in an organizational setting
- Experience of and willingness to working and travel in insecure contexts (conflict or complex emergencies)
- Proficient knowledge of written and spoken English
- International Driving License (manual gear)
- Documented experience of security assessment in at least two complex emergencies and/or active conflicts
- HEAT (Hostile Environment Awareness Training) or equivalent security training
- Knowledge of Arabic and Swedish
- Comprehensive understanding of the current political, social and humanitarian situation in the MENA
- Experience of working for the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement in an international operation/program
- Documented experience of security management in at least one complex emergency and/or active conflicts
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Structured and systematic
- Capacity of taking decisions and function autonomously
- Ability to handle high workloads and stressful circumstances
- Ability to live and work under demanding physical and mental conditions
- Awareness and understanding of cultural and gender diversity
Information and dates
Place of assignment: Beirut, Lebanon, with extensive travel in the region
Type of posting: International delegate, non family posting, full time, 12 months, with possibility of extension
Desired starting date: Beginning of September, or as agreed
Closing date: 13 August 2017
Please note that only applications made through our website will be considered.
For more information about the position, please contact:
Malena Rembe, Regional Manager Middle East, North Africa, Swedish Red Cross Direct phone: +961 76 409 240 / +46 736 266 923, e-mail: email@example.com